INGREDIENTS (for 4 people):
- 8 chicken thighs
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese .
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100gr. of walnuts
- 200gr. of spinach.
- 1 spring of thyme.
- 1 cucumber
- a bunch of mint and dill
- fresh radishes.
- red wine vinegar 30ml.
- 4 potatoes
- 150ml of chicken stock.
- 50 gr of butter
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
1) Prepare the garlic first. Cut the tops of the garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil, add thyme spring. Wrap in foil and bake in the oven pre-heated to 180C for about 40-45 minutes (Don’t let them burn!). When cooked while hot squeeze them and chop it up to a fine paste.
2)De-bone chicken thighs (you can buy them already prepared ) and remove the skin. Slightly even them up with the meat mallet for even cooking.
3) Prepare walnuts. Just grind them in pestle and mortar, but not too fine.
4) Heat the pan on medium heat. Add a little drizzle of olive oil. Add spinach and cook them until they shrink down ( approx. 2min). Add salt & pepper.
5) Let’s start doing chicken rolls. Place ingredients in the following order: Prosciutto – chicken thigh – salt & pepper – garlic paste – spinach – walnuts – cheese. Make 8 rolls in total.
6) Prepare the potatoes – if you have potato cutter that is even better. Just cut two equal pieces of 1 big potato. Make top & bottom surface flat so you have a nice crust on the potato when cooked. If you don’t have it just work with a knife as I did (as shown the in the picture below). Heat the pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil to the pan. When hot add potatoes presentation side down. Make sure you get nice dark golden colour. Then turn them on the other side, add butter, chicken stock and 2 springs of thyme. Salt & pepper the potatoes. After 5 min move the pan in a hot oven(180C) for about 30min or until potatoes are fully cooked and the tops are crispy.
7) While potatoes are in the oven, move your chicken rolls into a baking dish and add to the oven with potatoes for 20-25 min or until chicken is fully cooked (I sometimes take out 1 chicken roll and cut it in half to check it).
8) While potatoes and chicken are cooking let’s make a salad. Take a potato peeler and peel the cucumber length-wise so we have nice long and thin strips. Cut the radishes , chop mint leaves with dill. Add to the bowl and mix with red wine vinegar. Let them sit for 10-20 min to slightly pickle the vegetables. Just before serving chop some fresh mint and dill to garnish.
9) Plating – each to their own. I happened to have a nice long plate, cut chicken roll pieces in half, add the potatoes & cucumber salad in between (first photo).
10) Bon apetit everyone.:)